Re: [Emerald] Re: Caller-ID Limiter: Need new feature

jdyer ( (no email) )
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:08:00 -0000

Hi,
Caller ID info is needed for the new 'free' internet services that are now
available in the UK, internet access is basically billed in the phone call
charge (1 penny a min offpeak). The ideal feature for us is to be able to
track a user not by username but by the callerid/ipaddress and time.
This would allow us to create services for registered users (who we know
name and address) and non registered users (who are allowed access but may
have restrictions to stop abuse of the service). I know this is totally
different to what emerald is designed to do ie bill, but any future versions
should have this in mind as in many parts of the world that do not have free
local calls this way of billing for the internet may become very common.
(we have added over 50,000 users (www.freenet.co.uk) and Dixons Group
Freeserve claims 1million in just over 6 months!)

Thanks
Julian Dyer

ps I know that all the info we would require is recorded already in the
Database it is the front end that is needed.