Re: [Emerald] Revelation

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 02:18:50 -0800

Brandon Bryant wrote:

> OK.. Then here is another question for you. How difficult is it to set up
> replication for two SQL servers? I am reluctant to point both radius

Its not for the weak of heart or under powered machines. You should
have
atleast a 256mb, SCSI based, PII box for the replication source.

> servers to the same SQL server. Right now, the primary radius and the
> primary SQL are the same machine, and the secondary radius and the
> secondary SQL are the same machine. If the Primary radius server goes
> down, chances are the db is down too. I guess we could have one db server
> and point two other servers running radius to that one, and then have even
> another machine running a backup DB, and then use the multiple DSN feature
> on Radius to switch to the backup DB when there is a problem with the

If you have the hardware (RadiusNT takes very little CPU usage) then I
recommend NOT running RadiusNT on your SQL Servers. I don't recommend
running ANYTHING on your SQL Servers. Build them so that they wont
go down and you'll be in good shape.

> first. Does (will) RadiusNT have the multi-DSN feature? I know it has
> been discussed on the list before but I never really saw whether or not
> this feature will do what I want it to here.

This is quite a but more complicated than just connecting to a bunch of
listed DSNs. You should see this in the next major release, as we
are working on it actively.

> I'm trying to keep my point of failure as far back as possible. If the
> server goes down at 2AM, I don't want to have change anything to get
> service back up.

Some of the new RadiusNT 2.5.200 features will greatly help here, as
they
actively cache and can keep on going if SQL Server goes down.

For more information about this list, including removal,please see http://www.iea-software.com/maillist.html