Re: RadiusNT and SQL back-up question

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:54:22 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> You should do the same thing for the "master" database (using another
> backup device). I'd let the backup (diskdump) of "master" run before
> backing up "Emerald". I have my "master" db get backed up at 3:00am, then
> "Emerald" at 3:15am. If you already created the schedule for your Emerald
> backup, you can change the time if you need to by going into SQL Enterprise
> Manager --> Server pull-down menu --> Scheduled Tasks. Double-click on
> your Emerald backup task and change the time in there.
>
> When I run a tape-backup, it backs up the diskdumps. Periodically, I stop
> MSSQL Server, and copy the contents of \mssql\data to some other area,
> restart MSSQL, then run a tape backup--that way I get a backup of the
> actual database files.

I don't know how relevant it is to backup the master as well. When you
dump the Emerald database, it includes the portions of the master
database that are relevant to the Emerald database structure. With
just the Emerald dump, you can fully restore the database on another
SQL Server if needed. Restoring the Master Database on another SQL
server may had side affects or not work (path issues, etc).