[RadiusNT Digest]

radiusnt-digest-request@iea-software.com
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 00:01:05 -0700

Message 1: Re: RadiusNT and SQL back-up question
from Edsonet <administrator@yellowhead.com>

Message 2: 2nd Try: Problems with similar domains w/Proxy
from "Tony Schwartz" <tony@transport.com>

Message 3: Re: RadiusNT and SQL back-up question
from "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>

Message 4: Multilink PPP with USR Chassis and RadiusNT/Emerald
from "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>

Message 5: RE: Multilink PPP with USR Chassis and RadiusNT/Emerald
from "Lamar Townsend" <lamar@shuttle.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: RadiusNT and SQL back-up question
From: Edsonet <administrator@yellowhead.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:53:58 -0600

I know SQL is a little different, but generally I find it best to copy the
database to a temporary file first, and then back up the temporary file.
This gives you the closest thing to a snapshot you can get. In our case, we
do not even use a backup tape; we simply copy it to a different server. A
remote server would be better yet.

Access databases need to be compacted occassionally. For this, the routine
we use is:
1. Shutdown the service.
2. Rename the database to a backup file (eg Radius97.bak)
3. Compact back to the original database (eg Radius97.bak ---> Radius97.mdb)
4. Backup the compacted database
5. Restart the service
6. Delete the backup file (Radius97.bak). Actually, this is best done at
step 1 if it exists, and if you have the room.

This whole process can be automated using Visual Basic, and depending on
the size of the database only takes a minute or so. One thing I have
noticed is that the Radius97 database grows very quickly, and requires a
regular clean-up.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro
****************SEPARATER *******************
At 02:54 PM 7/30/98 -0500, Postman Account wrote:

>Recently, we upsized our RadiusNT database to MS SQL.
>
>I just tried to back-up our SQL server... and I noticed
>that the Radius database files were all skipped because
>they were in use. :(
>

>Any suggestions as to how to properly back-up the
>whole server... including the Radius database files?
>
>Please reply... thanks in advance.

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 2 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: 2nd Try: Problems with similar domains w/Proxy
From: "Tony Schwartz" <tony@transport.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:41:41 -0700

One more try...

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Josh Hillman" <admin-maillist@talstar.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:10:13 -0400

> From: Peter D. Mayer <dmayer@netwalk.com>
> The best way we've found to do this is to do an SQL Backup of your
database
> each night just before the machine backup runs.
> 1)In Enterprise Manager, go to Tools>Database Backup/Restore.
> 2)Under Database Device click New.
> 3)Pick a name, and make sure "Disk Backup Device" is selected.
> 4)Select the database you want backed up, and click Entire Database,
> Initialize Device, and No Expiration date.
> 5)Then click on your newly created Backup Device and click schedule.
Leave
> the volume label blank.
> 6)Select recurring, and select Daily, every 1 days, occurs once at
12:00AM
> (or just before your backup starts).
>
> Then even though it doesn't backup your main database, it will still
backup
> the backup device. Then if you need to restore, just restore the backup
> device from tape and use the restore utility.

You should do the same thing for the "master" database (using another
backup device). I'd let the backup (diskdump) of "master" run before
backing up "Emerald". I have my "master" db get backed up at 3:00am, then
"Emerald" at 3:15am. If you already created the schedule for your Emerald
backup, you can change the time if you need to by going into SQL Enterprise
Manager --> Server pull-down menu --> Scheduled Tasks. Double-click on
your Emerald backup task and change the time in there.

When I run a tape-backup, it backs up the diskdumps. Periodically, I stop
MSSQL Server, and copy the contents of \mssql\data to some other area,
restart MSSQL, then run a tape backup--that way I get a backup of the
actual database files.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 4 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Multilink PPP with USR Chassis and RadiusNT/Emerald
From: "Rudy Komsic" <rudyk@cyberglobe.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:43:25 -0400

Hmm... lately we have discovered a small problem with Multilink PPP and
accounting features with connections. When a Client connects under the
Multilink connection, it sometimes report Port 6000. This may be the port
that the VPN connection between chassis where it will conduct the
communications are conducted.

Could this be a bug in the latest USR Chassis code?

----
Rudy Komsic
President, Network Administrator - Cyberglobe Communications Inc.
4996 Place de la Savane, Suite 200, Montreal, Quebec, H4P 1Z6
Tel: (514)342-3883 Fax: (514)342-5139 E-Mail: rudyk@cyberglobe.net

| Message 5 |
From: "Lamar Townsend" <lamar@shuttle.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:35:25 -0500

I have not seen this problem. Are you running Quads or HyperDSPs,
Netserver or HyperARCs? And what version of the code?

Lamar Townsend
VP Microgear Computers & Microgear.Net
lamar@microgear.net