Re: RadiusNT and SQL back-up question

Edsonet ( administrator@yellowhead.com )
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:53:58 -0600

I know SQL is a little different, but generally I find it best to copy the
database to a temporary file first, and then back up the temporary file.
This gives you the closest thing to a snapshot you can get. In our case, we
do not even use a backup tape; we simply copy it to a different server. A
remote server would be better yet.

Access databases need to be compacted occassionally. For this, the routine
we use is:
1. Shutdown the service.
2. Rename the database to a backup file (eg Radius97.bak)
3. Compact back to the original database (eg Radius97.bak ---> Radius97.mdb)
4. Backup the compacted database
5. Restart the service
6. Delete the backup file (Radius97.bak). Actually, this is best done at
step 1 if it exists, and if you have the room.

This whole process can be automated using Visual Basic, and depending on
the size of the database only takes a minute or so. One thing I have
noticed is that the Radius97 database grows very quickly, and requires a
regular clean-up.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro