Re: Radlogs and ASCEND Max 4004

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:20:22 -0700

Pat Augustine wrote:

> We've recently installed RadiusNT 2.5 on our backup Radius server, still
> running 2.2 on the primary. Users are signing on (mostly) ok.
> Checking Radlogs (and populating RadLogMsg per your previous message), I
> get the occasional user error. However, the table is also getting 1 entry
> per minute from each of our Maxes that basically says the Max itself tried
> to login and failed (user not found). The Radlog entry looks like this:
>
> 10 Jun 15 1998 7:57PM pools-Max2.ilnk.com
> ascend (null) (null)
> (null)
>
> Max2.ilnk.com is the name of the 4004. I see them go by in -x15 mode, as
> well, but I don't know what's causing it. We've upgraded the Max to 6.1.0+
> recently and have been advised by Ascend that it has an IP Pool leak that
> they hope to fix soon, but I don't know if that's related or not.
> Does this make any sense to you at all? Any known issues with Ascend 6.1.0+
> (the first release with v.90)?

This is a standard behavior from a Max (usually when you reboot or reset
a config). Check the MAX documentation on how to turn this off. It
was recently posted here on the list as well (check the archives).

> In addition, I seem to get little bubbles of unsuccessful logins. During
> the day, suddenly for about 15 minutes it seems everybody is getting a LAN
> SECURITY ERROR and being rejected and then 15 minutes later, everybody gets
> in just fine with no changes anywhere. Most of the rejects don't show up in
> the Radius Logs (either the logfile on disk or the Radlogs table in Emerald)
> at all, so the Max may just be rejecting them outright, but I don't know why
> it would do that (I've got excess IP Pools allocated so that the Max
> shouldn't be out of IP addresses and did a Show Pool to verify that I had at
> least SOME available IP addresses).

You would have to run RadiusNT in -x15 to really see whats going on during that
time. I would guess you are having a SQL Server issue where RadiusNT gets
hung or held up by another task (like someone doing an intense query on your
sql server, or deleting records from the calls table). The dual thread
operation of RadiusNT 2.5 should help the later, but you may need to profile
your SQL Server (performance monitor) and try and track down who/what is
happening.