Re: Accounting causing trouble?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:46:37 -0700

null@emerald.iea.com wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I've changed the timeout from 6 to 8, and after a
> bunch of failures, it eventually calms down. Every once in a while an odd
> SQL request will come by. The original problem very well could have been
> Radius being bogged down with accounting packets. We are running Radius on
> the same machine as the SQL Server. Is this strongly discouraged?

For the most part, it doesn't matter.

> Heres the big picture: Two Radius servers on separate machines(p-166, Dual
> P-200). Each machine is also running SQL Server. Both Radius DSNs point to
> the primary (p-166) server which replicates the user information (not
> accounting, due to machine stress) to the secondary (P-200's) server in
> event of emergency. Should we have a separate machine dedicated to running
> the Radius Service? SQL Server has been an extreme pain with little
> failures here and there, but I think our size will not allow us to go back.
> During peak times the primary server is feeling quite a bit of stress. What
> is the general opinion on running a SQL database on mirrored hard drives?
> Is the extra write cycle killing performance?

Use the performance monitor shortcut in your SQL Server group to check whats
going on. I usually add cpu used, memory available, and pages/sec to the
list. How much memory does the machine have and how much memory is allocated
to SQL Server? Typically, SQL Server likes LOTS of memory. I would recommend
ATLEAST 64mb of memory to it, and another 20-30 for your tempdb in ram.