Re: Multiple web sites

Adam Greene ( (no email) )
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:19:58 -0400

Hi John,

To set up the DNS for a web site with a unique IP address:

-Open DNS Manager (Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->DNS Manager)
-Right-click your server and select New Zone.
-Click "Primary,"
-Hit Next
-Type in the Zone name (domain.com)
-Hit tab (the correct Zone file will automatically appear in the box)
-Hit Next.
-Hit Finish.

Each zone will have to have some records associated with it. To create
these records:
-right-click on the zone
-select "New Record"
>>select the NS Record Type (if you need to specify a name server for the
zone)
- type in the full name of the nameserver (i.e. host.domain.com)
- Hit OK
>>select the A Record type (to create the "www" record)
- Type in the host name (i.e. www)
- type in the IP address you are using for www.domain.com in IIS4.0
- make sure the "Create associated PTR record" option is checked
- hit OK
You may also want to update the SOA record for the new Zone. I don't
understand this completely, but what I do is copy down the information from
my main domain (in my case, webjogger.net) and input these numbers into the
SOA for the new Zone. I then increase the Serial Number in the SOA for
webjogger.net by 1. I think this step enables a quick update of the new DNS
information by my secondary name servers.

When you're done doing all of this stuff,
-click on DNS (top left)
-click "Update Server Data Files"
-click DNS
-click Exit

Good luck. By the way, I recommend a book called "DNS and BIND" by Albitz &
Liu if you need a clear introduction to the concepts of DNS. It's published
by O'Reilly (www.oreilly.com).

Adam Greene
Webjogger Internet Services