Re: NAS Recommendations

matthew ( matthew@the-spa.com )
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:39:20 -0400

we are using all total control. we have two chassis loaded with the
hiper dsp cards and a few of the older lower density chassis' that only
handled 48 lines (96 if you install just 2 of the hiper dsp cards)

we feel that these chassis' give us a pretty good hedge on new
technologies. also, we don't worry too much about the obsolescence
because within 2 or 3 years the equipment has been depreciated so much
that as long as we keep it full of people it has way more than paid for
itself.

we were doing this back when you had to have hundreds of individual
modems connected to terminal servers with hundreds of wires for power,
phone and rs-232

with the total control chassis' with hiper dsp modems and hiper arc
cards we have over 300 lines per chassis capable of x2, v90 or isdn and
all that comes out of that chassis is 3 ethernet cables, 1 for the nmc
card, 2 for the hiper arc and 2 power cables for the primary and
redundant power supplies.

thats 4 wires in all per chassis for 300+ lines in each chassis.

and the hiper dsp bundles (1 chassis, 1 power supply, 1 hiper arc cards
and 2 hiper dsp cards) is so cheap that when we need just 2 hiper dsp
cards we buy a whole chassis bundle and just put the empty chassis in
storage as a spare and use the parts to make older chassis hiper arc and
redundant power.

matthew