Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5

Robert W. Downard ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:44:02 -0500

System Administrator wrote:

> We are about to implement RAID 5 on a new NT Server.
> It has however, come to our attention that if the
> boot drive is included in the RAID 5 PARITY SET,
> the server will no longer boot. The argument is having
> the boot drive C:\ set-up with RAID 1 mirroring to another
> drive and the remaining drives set with RAID 5.

This is true with the software RAID built into NT. If you use hardware
RAID, you can install NT on a RAID 5 array and it won't even know it.
Our RAID 5 array is configured as a single logical drive, which appears
to NT as a single large disk, which we broke up into several NTFS
partitions.

-- Robert W. DownardNetworking & Systems Spec.      email:  downrw@sncac.snc.eduSt. Norbert College             Phone:  (920) 403-3971100 Grant Street                  Fax:  (920) 403-4084De Pere, WI  54115-2099