Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5

Andrew Barton ( (no email) )
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:59:10 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert W. Downard <downrw@sncac.snc.edu>
To: ntisp@iea-software.com <ntisp@iea-software.com>
Date: Friday, June 26, 1998 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: BOOTING WITH A RAID 5

>System Administrator wrote:
>>
>> We are about to implement RAID 5 on a new NT Server.
>> It has however, come to our attention that if the
>> boot drive is included in the RAID 5 PARITY SET,
>> the server will no longer boot. The argument is having
>> the boot drive C:\ set-up with RAID 1 mirroring to another
>> drive and the remaining drives set with RAID 5.

This is an ok way to do things, but as Robert said, if you use hardware RAID
it dosent care *and* it's faster. One big advantage of RAID 5 is increased
read performance. This will be a lot less (if any) under software RAID. If
you use a software mirror for the C drive, DON'T even think about using IDE.
If you use IDE, both drives have to be on the same channel to set up a
mirror under NT and so there are double the amount of write commands which
slows down you system.

Andrew Barton
RedShift Information Technology

andrew@redshift.bc.ca