Re: Slow login for DUN 1.2

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:13:32 -0400

> From: JOOSSE, Greg <joosseg@nrc.com.au>
> After upgrading my OSR2 Windows 95 PC to Dial-Up Networking v1.2 it takes

> much longer to login to my ISP. It seems the authentication process is

> slower. Any ideas how to fix this?

Aside from unchecking "Log on to network," "IPX/SPX," and "NetBEUI" from
the Dial-Up Networking Connection profile, see the following page:
http://support.talstar.com/win95-updates.html

Also, make sure that you have the following settings in:
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network --> TCP/IP Properties -->
DNS Config: DISable DNS (all entries should be blank)
IP Address: Server assigned
Gateway: empty

A lot of ISPs have their customers set DNS info in the above area, but for
dial-up PPP connections, it's not supposed to go in there. Having settings
in these areas will cause problems--especially if the customer has multiple
ISPs or changes to a different ISP...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com