Re: Reverse DNS Configurqation in MS DNS

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 11:47:48 -0500

I perform a dig on your machine and indeed see the PTR records are correct.
I would venture that your upstream provider does not have the in-addr.arpa
pointed at your dns server. In fact when I perform a dig on my machine the
SOA for those IP addresses is ns.cancom.net. If that is your upstream
provider then they need to modify the in-addr.arpa records to your primary
DNS server, or ask them to provide that as secondary to your primary,
either way that is the source of the problem.... ( My obversations)

At 10:16 AM 6/2/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi, I may be a bit off topic here, but I am trying to fix a quirk in our
>system that is driving us all CRAZY.
>
>In our own domain, reverse DNS Lookup works fine, our MS DNS appears to be
>configured correctly.
>
>but when I query servers outside my domain, even a root server, they can
>never figure out who we are.
>
>Is anyone who knows MS DNS willing to give me a hand via chat or something
>to troubleshoot it?
>
>My DNS servers are:
>
>209.205.52.2 (Secondary to .8)
>
>209.205.52.8 (Primary)