Re: Post.Office

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Tue, 12 May 1998 16:15:08 -0400

> From: Christian Schmit <cschmit@vo.lu>
> We also use PostOffice 3.1.2 and are very satisfied
> with it but it is expensive. 495$ for 100 mailboxes!
> We currently run some 1300 mailboxes on it without
> problems.

That $495 is if you go directly through Software.Com to obtain the
licensing add-on. The last time we bought 100 more licenses, we obtained
them from a company that we found listed somewhere I think in Boardwatch
Magazine. They were selling them for $3xx (I dont' remember exactly how
much they were) for 100. We contacted Software.Com to find out if this was
a legitimate/legal thing; according to Software.Com, everything was fine
with it.

I will agree that in general Post.Office is expensive, but it's pretty nice
and has some decent anti-spam and relay protection. I just wish that more
"filters" could be added in a future release for rejecting mail with
sujects and To fields that reflect spam ("To: friend@public.com", "Subject:
Bulk Email...", ect.) as well as rejecting mail if the From address cannot
be resolved (e.g. From: someone@243514351.com). Currently, only info
contained in the "From" field is capable of being blocked (username, domain
name, or full email address).

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com