Re: Multi-link card

Amitai Rottem ( (no email) )
Sun, 10 May 1998 22:13:58 +0300

------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BD7C60.EDB4DDC0

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking - what kind of computer do you run the lines =
on? (processor, memory, hdd controller...)

Thanks,
Amitai Rottem@ibm.net & Rottem@yahoo.com
Web designer: www.gtcsales.com www.duma.co.il www.ophirinc.com
-----Original Message-----
From: Dwight G. Jones <djones@imagen.net>
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date: Sunday, May 10, 1998 7:26 AM
Subject: RE: Multi-link card
=20
We run 93 lines on RRAS/RAS. It's our lab for NTPayMaster, and it's =
all we've ever needed. Runs untouched for months on end with USR-TC, =
we're old USR-TBBS Sysops.
Best Regards;
=20
Dwight G. Jones
Imagen Communications Inc.
http://www.imagen.net
Information Architects tm
=20
=20

From: Kevin Ingram <kingram@cameron.net>
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date: Sunday, 10 May 1998 4:09
=20
=20
I have had good success using RRAS as a low cost, no frills =
solution. The
most I currently run on one NT box is 16 ports, but I have =
several small
remote servers set up this way, and I will be testing a 32 =
port box in the
near future to see how well it works out. I use the older =
RadiusNT (v1.60 I
think) and I pull my accounting records from the Access =
database in Radius.
I don't need any of the other features other than =
authentication and on/off
accounting so it works fine for me.
=20
Part of the attraction for me is that we are also a PC =
builder, so having
spare NT boxes isn't a problem. I have run an 8 port system =
on as little as
a P90 with 32M RAM and a 340 IDE HD, hardly an expense at =
all. The only
software loaded on that box was NT40SP3, RRAS, RadiusNT and =
drivers for the
multiport card. (I used a cyclades Y series ISA with cable). =
With the cost
of hardware constantly coming down, its easy to put in a =
P233 64M RAM 2G
EIDE HD in a server with a 16 port PCI card and NIC, and it =
flies.
=20
I don't know about 32 or more ports yet, but I would think =
that with enough
motherboard speed and RAM it would work fine.
=20
I will know more in the next 30 days, as I have some servers =
that will be up
to 32 ports by then.
=20
Kevin Ingram
From:=20 Dwight G. Jones <djones@imagen.net>
To: =ntisp@emerald.iea.com =<ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date:=20 Sunday, May 10, 1998 7:26 AM
Subject: RE: Multi-link=20 card

We=20 run 93 lines on RRAS/RAS. It's our lab for NTPayMaster, and it's all =we've=20 ever needed. Runs untouched for months on end with USR-TC, we're old = USR-TBBS Sysops.

Best Regards;

Dwight G. Jones
Imagen=20 Communications Inc.
http://www.imagen.net
Information Architects=20 tm

From: Kevin Ingram <kingram@cameron.net>
To:==20 ntisp@emerald.iea.com=20 <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date:=20 Sunday, 10 May 1998 4:09

I have had good success using RRAS =as a low=20 cost, no frills solution. The
most I currently run on one =NT box=20 is 16 ports, but I have several small
remote servers set =up this=20 way, and I will be testing a 32 port box in the
near =future to=20 see how well it works out. I use the older RadiusNT (v1.60=20 I
think) and I pull my accounting records from the Access = database in Radius.
I don't need any of the other =features other=20 than authentication and on/off
accounting so it works =fine for=20 me.

Part of the attraction for me is that we are also =a PC=20 builder, so having
spare NT boxes isn't a problem. I have =run an=20 8 port system on as little as
a P90 with 32M RAM and a =340 IDE=20 HD, hardly an expense at all. The only
software loaded on =that=20 box was NT40SP3, RRAS, RadiusNT and drivers for =the
multiport=20 card. (I used a cyclades Y series ISA with cable). With the=20 cost
of hardware constantly coming down, its easy to put =in a=20 P233 64M RAM 2G
EIDE HD in a server with a 16 port PCI =card and=20 NIC, and it flies.

I don't know about 32 or more =ports yet,=20 but I would think that with enough
motherboard speed and =RAM it=20 would work fine.

I will know more in the next 30 =days, as I=20 have some servers that will be up
to 32 ports by=20 then.

Kevin Ingram
-----Original =Message-----
From:=20 Thomas C Kinnen <tkinnen@usacomputers.net>=
To:=20 ntisp@emerald.iea.com=20 <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Da=te:=20 Saturday, May 09, 1998 12:20 PM

NTISP=20 Mailing=20 =List           &nb=sp; =20 listserver@emerald.iea.com=
------=_NextPart_000_002A_01BD7C60.EDB4DDC0--