Re: SQL back-up question

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:54:57 -0700

Josh Hillman wrote:

> > From: Dale E. Reed Jr. <daler@iea-software.com>
> > I don't know how relevant it is to backup the master as well. When you
> > dump the Emerald database, it includes the portions of the master
> > database that are relevant to the Emerald database structure. With
> > just the Emerald dump, you can fully restore the database on another
> > SQL Server if needed. Restoring the Master Database on another SQL
> > server may had side affects or not work (path issues, etc).
>
> I didn't used to backup the master db until recently. I was poking through
> "Using MS SQL Server 6.5" (QUE) and it mentioned:
> Be sure to back up the Master database. Because this database
> includes all information about the other database objects in the
> system, having this information is very important in case you
> have to restore the entire system and rebuild from scratch.

If you stop SQL Server and backup the physical database devices
themselves, then this is very important. You can not just move your
emerald.dat database device to another SQL Server w/out the master.
However, you CAN take a dump of a database to another SQL Server
w/out the master. See the difference?