[Emerald Digest]

emerald-digest-request@iea-software.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:00:01 -0700

Message 1: Re: Calls online not showing up
from "Greg Hastings" <greg@hwy97.net>

Message 2: NTMail, EmerAuth and Mem Leak Solved with 3Com driver update
from Duane Schaub <dschaub@terraworld.net>

Message 3: Re: NTMail, EmerAuth and Mem Leak Solved with 3Com driver update
from "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 1 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
Subject: Re: Calls online not showing up
From: "Greg Hastings" <greg@hwy97.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:33:50 -0700

Dale,

This thread seems to have been dropped. Any suggestions on why the
accounting is not functioning fully?

From: Duane Schaub <dschaub@terraworld.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:10:41 -0500

After many months of bizarre behavior and generally poor performance, I
have isolated a problem involving the 3com 3x905 NICs.

Problem:

1. NTMail would timeout on large attachments. Reguardless of the transfer
rate, the client would timeout at 10 minutes on the nose.

2. NTMail using external Authentication with Emerald DB would fail, causing
rejected mail and a many locked threads. Also, this locked threads seem to
be the source of a considerable memory leak.

Solution:

Most people are still running the 3x905 drivers that came with the NT
distrib. The drivers were updated on 6/9/98 and fixes all of my NTmail and
Serv-U authentication problems. No unwanted side effects were noted
following the upgrade.

Duane.

Duane Schaub, President |Terra World, Inc - Connecting The Planet
Terra World, Inc. |Southeast Kansas' Leading Provider
200 Arco Place, Suite 252 |Flat Fee - Never an hourly Charge
Independence, Kansas 67301 |Where Service is Top Priority!
Voice (316) 332-1616 |http://www.terraworld.net
FAX: (316) 332-1451 |dschaub@terraworld.net

..------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------.
| Message 3 |
'------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------'
From: "Dale E. Reed Jr." <daler@iea-software.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:24:18 -0700

Duane Schaub wrote:

> After many months of bizarre behavior and generally poor performance, I
> have isolated a problem involving the 3com 3x905 NICs.
>
> Problem:
>
> 1. NTMail would timeout on large attachments. Reguardless of the transfer
> rate, the client would timeout at 10 minutes on the nose.
>
> 2. NTMail using external Authentication with Emerald DB would fail, causing
> rejected mail and a many locked threads. Also, this locked threads seem to
> be the source of a considerable memory leak.
>
> Solution:
>
> Most people are still running the 3x905 drivers that came with the NT
> distrib. The drivers were updated on 6/9/98 and fixes all of my NTmail and
> Serv-U authentication problems. No unwanted side effects were noted
> following the upgrade.

We pulled several 3c9xx cards out of NT machines that were running slow or
having bizzare problems and replaced them with Intel Pro 100b cards. We've
never looked back, and its too bad since I like the 3com cards for the most
part.