RE: SQL servers other than Microsoft

Robert H. Clugston ( (no email) )
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:19:07 -0700

Dear Geo,
I find it very hard to believe that Linux doesn't do threading very well.
Sounds like a setup problem or a distribution problem (RedHat or Caldera.) I
do plan on benchmarking the two databases in a project I am working on with
a friend. If you would like to know how the tests come out please send me
your E-mail. This will take a few weeks.

robert@comstocknet.com

-----Original Message-----
From: emerald-request@iea-software.com
[mailto:emerald-request@iea-software.com] On Behalf Of emerald@nls.net
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 1998 9:50 PM
To: emerald@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: SQL servers other than Microsoft

At 10:56 AM 6/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>List,
> Has anyone put their SQL database on a Linux box using mySQL. Since it is
>ODBC compliant this shouldn't be to hard. I've also seen a mySQL servers in
>production. It is many, many times faster than Microsoft SQL.

Linux runs good when doing a single query, but doing multiple queries sucks
bigtime compared to MSSQLserver. Linux doesn't do threading real well, it
didn't appear to be mySQL but instead looks like an OS issue.

I was looking into it for a different db application, don't know if emerald
would make much difference or not but I suspect not.

Geo.