Re: stranded?

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 10 May 1998 11:20:25 -0700

Michael Whisenant wrote:

> >Typically the people who report this are running USR gear and its
> >when people disconnect either by just dropping the line or some
> >other non PPP disconnect. I would guess its a bug in the USR gear
> >that causes something funny to happen to the accounting stop record
> >for that session. Maybe someone with a USR could run RadiusNT in
> >-x15 debug mode and capture the debug of the session hanging up?
>
> Since this happens infrequent. Tell me how, and I will capture the
> information. It is happening about 10 times or less per day. I am now
> manually processing a script that takes the information in the calls table
> by NAS, telnets into the NAS, and confirms the user is still active. If
> there is a difference it will reset the port in the telnet session twice.
> It finds less than 10 per day in my environment of about 30,000 calls.

Actually, thats probably good. The way to figure it out is run
the latest RadiusNT 2.5. In the registry, define LogFile and
AcctLogFile, pointing to a file like c:\radius\radauth.log and
c:\radius\radacct.log. Then you will have two log files that
contain the authentication and accounting debug, respectively.
Make sure the debug registry is set at -x15. These files WILL
grow fast, so make sure you have some diskspace avaialable.

Then when you have the 10 names or so of the problems, search
the radacct.log file for them. You may need to use a program
like split to split the log files it they are too big, or use
PFE32, which can load a file as big a you have virtual memory.

For speed, RadiusNT 2.5 keeps the logfiles open, so you will not
be able rename or cycle them w/out stopping RadiusNT.