Re: Just a quickie!

Jim Dunmyer ( jdunmyer@toltbbs.com )
Thu, 07 May 1998 13:13:04 -0400

At 03:07 PM 5/7/98 +0000, you wrote:

>> I have a single P-200 running SQL, RadiusNT, and Emerald. The Web server (a
>> P-166) has the SQL client on it, running RadiusNT also. It updates its
>> USERS file automatically every few hours, using the program furnished by
>> Emerald Software so it can act as a backup to the main machine.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Can someone tell me where I can find in the docs how to setup this
>secondary system?

A friend who is very conversant with SQL set this up for me. We use the
RADUSERS program from Emerald to read the database and create a USERS.WRK
file. The batch file (running from the AT scheduler) then uses the FIND
command to see if the file is valid, then renames USERS.WRK to USERS. This
step is very important, as RADUSERS will create a useless file if it can't
connect properly to the SQL server (and it won't be able to if it's really
needed!) (think about it)

If the NAS can't contact the primary machine, it simply falls through to
the secondary box (Web server in our case) and gets its authentications
from there. This causes a slight delay, but the users are still able to log
on, albeit with no logging during this period.

Dunno how much is in the docs about this, probably not much. It's mostly
just a matter of using the RADUSERS program, running on a second machine
that can read the main SQL database through a client installation on that
second machine. Like much of Emerald, it assumes that you know something
about SQL

<<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>
<<www.toltbbs.com/~jims>>