Re: Just a quickie!

Jim Dunmyer ( jdunmyer@toltbbs.com )
Thu, 07 May 1998 07:59:43 -0400

At 01:45 AM 5/7/98 +0530, you wrote:
>I've got a simple question that I'm sure someone has asked before. . .
>
> Q: Is it advisable to run SQL & Radius on the same machine?

I have a single P-200 running SQL, RadiusNT, and Emerald. The Web server (a
P-166) has the SQL client on it, running RadiusNT also. It updates its
USERS file automatically every few hours, using the program furnished by
Emerald Software so it can act as a backup to the main machine.

Dale will tell you that your SQL server should be a seperate machine, and
that's all well and good, but you still need a hot backup of some sort or
you have a single point of failure.

We're small (< 600 users, with 2 USR Total Control racks); I might think
differently if we had 10,000 customers. I'm unsure how often we should run
the caller consolidation function, so I do it every time I run invoices or
batch out credit cards. That amounts to 2 or 3 times per week, so it
usually requires less than 10 minutes, even on the P-200 with 128 megs RAM.

<<jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>>
<<www.toltbbs.com/~jims>>