Re: Carry Balances Forward

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Mon, 4 May 1998 18:14:00 -0400

If you're using Emerald 2.2, you can carry balances and make partial
payments, though it's not something that's handled through Emerald.

If an invoice calls for $19.95 and someone pays $20.00, I just mark it paid
at $19.95, then run a small script using ISQL/w that changes the payment
value for whatever PaymentID was associated with that invoice. So now the
Payments.Amount is listed as 20.00. Then I go into Emerald and into the
MBR for that customer and create a charge for -0.05 and give it a
description of something like "Credit from overpayment for inv. 7432".
When I remember to, I also adjust the MBR's Balance from 0.00 to -0.05.
The next time an invoice (type=renewal) is created for that person, the
"negative" charge will appear on it and the total amount due will be $19.90
instead of the normal $19.95.
This isn't a perfect solution, but I've been doing this since sometime
around October of last year and our accountants/bookkeepers seem to be a
little happier. You can do the same thing for shortages too (invoice
called for $19.95 and they mailed $19.00 or something).

My emerald db has a Credits table, but there's nothing in it. I guess this
is for use with Emerald 2.5 and/or later...

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com