Re: RadiusNT Questions

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:03:25 -0800

Nolan W. Bailey, Jr. wrote:

> Currently, we're running Emerald's free RadiusNT release
> that is using Access 95.... we are around 1,000 users...
> and it has become very sluggish... and we have to compact
> the database once a week or so. The dial-up equipment
> that we use is Ascend MAX 4048.

Its MS Access.

> How many users will the latest release of RadiusNT support?
> (running on a Pentium 133 with 64 MB Ram... Windows NT 4.0)

This is a fairly generic question. See below.

> What type of system and configuration is recommended to
> support about 5,000 users and 300 dial-up? (such as computer
> speed... memory... SQL Server..? etc. etc.)

I would recommend using SQL Server for anything over about 500-1000
users. MS Access just really doesn't have the power to do much
more than that. Basically you would need something in the P166
range with 128mb of RAM. SQL Server really likes RAM. :) The
more the better.

> Will RadiusNT run faster or more reliably with SQL server?

Definately. Your issue isn't RadiusNT, its MS Access.

> Will RadiusNT work using Access 97?

Your definition of work will probably vary from mine. Personally,
I'd never put a production system on MS Access to begin with.

> Does this version of RadiusNT deny multiple logins correctly?
> even with different case in the username?

Yes.

> In an emergency situation, is phone support available?

If you have a support contract.

> I've not seen the support (or any) phone number listed on the IEA
> Software web site...?

Look closer. :) Just click on "Contacting Us" of our website home page.

> We looking at the possibility of having 2 Radius servers... both
> databases containing the exact/same user information. We would
> just type in the information twice... so, if one database becomes
> corrupt, the other database... and Radius server... should be all
> right. What would this cost us? Would we have to buy 2 copies
> of RadiusNT?

Actually, you should just use a single SQL Server with both RadiusNT
servers pointing to it. This is the optimal configuration for RadiusNT,
and the RadiusNT license allows for you to run it on two computers.

> Can we port over our current Emerald RadiusNT database? Or would
> it use the same database?

It should be fairly easy to port.