Re: Memory Suggestions

Jeff Woods ( jeff@delta.com )
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:57:05 -0500

Repeat after me.... NT LOVES RAM. NT LOVES RAM. NT LOVES RAM.

I'd suggest you not futz with it, and just go to 256 MB. A 64 MB SIMM is
about $120 if you know where to look.

My recommendation is ALWAYS, however, to avoid buying obsolete or soon to
be obsolete systems. I don't buy Pentiums (I buy P-II's). I don't buy
SIMMS unless I have to -- I buy DIMMS. (And if I *have* to buy SIMMS,
they are EDO and at least 32 MB per SIMM -- I've got no use for a 16 MB
chip these days).

If you're going to buy RAM, and it is in the budget, upgrade the WHOLE
MACHINE and just drop the old hard drive into it.... A Pentium-II/233
motherboard and CPU can be had for as little as $480 (and further price
cuts are expected this month!). A P-II board takes DIMMs, so you'd need 4
64MB chips totalling about $500. The rest of your hardware SHOULD remain
compatible... You may need a new CASE for a P-II as the power connectors
are not compatible, either. $50.

So, for barely $1000, your SQL machine can be top notch, doubled in
processing power, doubled in RAM, and easily doubled in performance.

If that's out of the question, then you're right -- the more RAM in NT the
better. Also, with NT, RAID or stripe sets over multiple smaller drives
can up your performance. (You're not using IDE for this mission-critical
machine, are you?). Get LOTS of small, 1 GB SCSI drives, and make them a
single stripe set, or preferrably a RAID-5 set. The more drives in the
set, the more the disk access is "distributed" and the faster any disk
access will be when it DOES need to swap. SCSI hardware RAID volumes are
an ORDER of MAGNITUDE faster than a single IDE drive. Even IDE stripe
sets can help over a single IDE, though you'll want to MIRROR them for
redundancy's sake.