RE: RadiusNT username length

Brian Lube ( (no email) )
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:46:34 -0500

Dale -

I tried turning off Manual Calls Update -- and it still Dr. Watson'd on a
user name over 20 characters long. The test radius server that I've got has
Concurrency Control and Variable Login Limits in Options, uses All Debug
options, ignores case and does not require secret. Any ideas?

Brian Lube
MPInet
http://www.mpinet.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale E. Reed Jr. [mailto:daler@iea.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 4:35 PM
To: RadiusNT@iea-software.com
Subject: Re: RadiusNT username length

Brian Lube wrote:

> I found some interesting information about RadiusNT username lengths that
> thought I should post. I'm running RadiusNT in ODBC mode, connecting to a
> Platypus database. When I put a username of 'reallybighonkingmassiveuser'
> (the largest that Platypus would allow) in with a maximum length password
> ('reallybighonking') RadiusNT would Dr. Watson until that session stopped
> attempting to connect. I started reducing the username length, and found
> that it seems that the absolute maximum username length seems to be
around
> 20 characters from what I found. As soon as the username was under 20
> characters it stopped crashing RadiusNT. The SQL statement that seems to
be
> the culprit is the following (I never saw this statement come up
using -x15
> when the username was above 20 characters) -

The problem is with Manual Calls Update and is only in 2.2.41. You
shouldn't need that option with SQL Server (you should be using a
trigger), anyways. I tested 2.5 and it doesn't exhibit the problem
(and no, I don't know when it will be available).

--Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com