(no subject)

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 18:20:50 -0800

Matthew S. Crocker wrote:

> > That said, I understand the migration issue and have added some
> > minimal support for this in the next release. The issue is
> > control, since you don't want the user to be selecting what kind
> > of service they are purhchasing from you.
>
> Well, actually I do want my users to pick their protocol (SLIP or PPP) and
> if they want network or telnet access. That is why I wrote the hack for
> Livingston Radius. Now that I'm moving into NT for authentication I still
> want to provide the flexibility of the feature, We will always have a
> bunch of unix machines around for telnet boxes. What type of minimal
> control is in the next release and does Emerald support it?

Its not final, but each service can have a prefix and suffix. Then you can
specify them for logins. The real issue is access control. For example
if a user is allowed ISDN access, how do you prevent them? I suppose you
could not define an access, but what about accounts where they have say
an email/telnet only and NOT PPP account? You have to have control and
the extension stuff just doesn't offer any unless we really put a bunch
of additional security (which I don't want to do). Emerald/RadiusNT
already has that all built into it and it just doesn't seem worth
adding several more security models to it.

> I'm trying to figure out the best way of merging our customer billing
> database with our unix password file into Emerald MBR/Sub sets. Copying
> the Radius file won't work becuase our Radius users file only has 4
> entries (PPP,SLIP,CSLIP,Rlogin).

If you copy the passwd file into the RadiusNT directory and then put
the users itno Emerald with "UNIX" as the password.

> Also, when can I get my hands on the new version of Emerald so we can test
> the conversion, I have to convert 3000+ users and every month I wait the
> number will increase. It is going to be a nightmare already I don't want
> to make it a recurring one...

We've started wider testing at select sites (non-production). A
non-production beta is not that far off right now. I'm working
thru the list of people to bring up test sites right now. Please
don't send me email asking, as we already have enough test sites at
this time.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com