Re: Creating a Dictionary

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Fri, 05 Dec 1997 23:05:25 -0800

Richard Wong wrote:

> Question 1:
> When creating the dictionary for the Gandalf, should I just take the example
> dictionary and remove (or comment out) all the RADIUS attributes that it
> does not support?

Its really irrelavant and won't affect anything.

> The Gandalf unit also supports attributes that are Gandalf specific. There
> are 33 of them and they are listed starting with ID 1 through ID 33. I
> noticed that in the example dictionary, the Ascend specific attributes
> starts at 174.

You are probably referencing Vendor Specific Address attributes. RadiusNT
2.2. does not support them currently.

> Question 2:
> Does it matter where I start the Gandalf specific attributes (attribute ID
> number)? According to RFC 2058 for RADIUS, only attributes 224 through 240
> are reserved for 'implementation-specific use'.

You can NOT do that. RADIUS users NUMBERS, not names. If you put the
attributes into the dictionary it won't do anything, unless you put
them into RFC attributes which couldn't really screw up things. :(

> Question #3:
> I had expected a text log file to be created by RadiusNT when I ran
> 'radlogin'. Am I right in assuming this? If there are log files, where
> does RadiusNT put them? My accounting directory points to
> 'c:\radius\accounting' - the directory exists but is empty.

You did a auth request, not an accounting request. Try:

radlogin user START
radlogin user STOP

and you should see some accounting.

> Question #4:
> I'm not sure how RadiusNT would handle multiple NAS's. Would I have to
> create a dictionary for each one? If I use multiple dictionaries, how would
> RadiusNt know which one to use?

Attributes DO NOT overlap, so a single dictionary is fine. You can add
non VSA attributes to the dictionary (like the ascend stuff), but not VSA.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com