Re: DNS problem

Juergen Weiss ( (no email) )
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:11:50 +0200

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Danny Sinang <>
An: <>
Datum: Mittwoch, 15. April 1998 19:23
Betreff: Re: DNS problem

>I just changed my serial number already to 1998041601
>Can you explain what my upstream might have changed that caused this

Sorry my time is too short to look to it in more detail. Maybe they have
redisigned their IPs and forgot something which blew up your nameserver. =
in the past you have not been authoritative for your domains and now they
registered you with internic and this caused problems due to your serial.

>And what problems could a wrong serial number cause ?

There is a RFC (sorry, don't remember out of my mind) which gives upper a=
lower limits for all the values within the SOA.

At least here in Germany the german internic (DE-NIC) checks if you are
within these limits and just ignores your nameserver if you are out (made
this mistake with my first domain where I also had a "small serial"). Sor=
I am not sure if this is german specific.