Re: DNS problem

Juergen Weiss ( (no email) )
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:11:50 +0200

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Danny Sinang <danny@uplink.com.ph>
An: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Datum: Mittwoch, 15. April 1998 19:23
Betreff: Re: DNS problem

>I just changed my serial number already to 1998041601
>
>Can you explain what my upstream might have changed that caused this
problem
>?

Sorry my time is too short to look to it in more detail. Maybe they have
redisigned their IPs and forgot something which blew up your nameserver. =
Or
in the past you have not been authoritative for your domains and now they
registered you with internic and this caused problems due to your serial.

>And what problems could a wrong serial number cause ?

There is a RFC (sorry, don't remember out of my mind) which gives upper a=
nd
lower limits for all the values within the SOA.

At least here in Germany the german internic (DE-NIC) checks if you are
within these limits and just ignores your nameserver if you are out (made
this mistake with my first domain where I also had a "small serial"). Sor=
ry
I am not sure if this is german specific.