Re: USR Netservers and packet loss

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Thu, 02 Apr 1998 11:40:02 -0600

David,

To resolve your Quake problem do the following, if you have not tried this
already.

1. From the Netserver do a sh mem.
2. Get the memory on the Netserver upgraded to at least 16MB DRAM and 8MB
Flash RAM.
3. Upgrade to Netserver code 3.7.24 or later.

I had this problem and eliminated it by doing the above. I have heard of
another problem related to IP address pools on the Netserver, which can
cause this. For example in a typical class C address space using the older
1706 chassis bundles I would configure my machines as follows:

NSR1 xxx.xxx.xxx.3 IP Pool Start xxx.xxx.xxx.25 limt 46
NMC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.2
NSR2 xxx.xxx.xxx.5 IP Pool Start xxx.xxx.xxx.71 limt 46
NMC2 xxx.xxx.xxx.4
NSR3 xxx.xxx.xxx.7 IP Pool Start xxx.xxx.xxx.117 limt 46
NMC3 xxx.xxx.xxx.6
NSR4 xxx.xxx.xxx.9 IP Pool Start xxx.xxx.xxx.163 limt 46
NMC4 xxx.xxx.xxx.10
NSR5 xxx.xxx.xxx.11 IP Pool Start xxx.xxx.xxx.209 limt 46
NMC5 xxx.xxx.xxx.12

I use .1 as the router and have static addresses available from .13 to .24
per class C for servers locally, etc....