Re: K56Flex vs. X2 (Boardwatch article)

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 18:13:12 -0500

> From: Allen Wisor <Allen@nova1.net>
> 5.0ap42 is higher than 5.0ai13

I know--the numbers represent the weeks after 5.0A was released; we were
using p42 before upgrading to 6.0.0. The patch releases never had the
"extras" that the incrimentals had (logging send/receive speeds, finger,
etc.) We went from p38 to 5.0Ai28 (wanting the extras) back in late
January, but after a day and a half of tons of complaints that many people
couldn't connect anymore (at all) and some could connect, but had lousy
performance, we we went to p42 (which wasn't as reliable as p38, though
only by a slight amount).

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com

> Josh Hillman wrote:
> >
> > > From: Allen Wisor <Allen@nova1.net>
> > > We have 4000's and 4048's 5.0ap42. We have recorded speeds up to
> > > 52000. We have several clients getting 50000 regularly. The
> > > average connect speeds are 40000 to 48000. It is rare for our
> > > 56k people to get below 40000 ( that is if they get 56k, we all
> > > know about the problems we PBX's and antiquated bell c.o.'s).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, how were you finding out the users' download speeds
with
> > 5.0Ap42? Radius only sent the user's upload speed (Ascend-Data-Rate)
and
> > the "show users" command either did the same thing or didn't display
the
> > modem speed at all. 5.0Ai13 (and later incremental releases) displayed
the
> > info, but the patch versions never did. 6.0.x displays everything
(initial
> > send/receive speeds relative to the Max, as well as modem slot and card
> > numbers) in the "show users" command as well as the radius stop records
and
> > syslog.
> >
> > The only way I ever found a way of finding out send/receive,
> > initial/highest speeds for any given call (5.0Apxx) was to wach it
> > disconnect while in diagnostics mode, enabling "modemdiag".
Unfortunately,