Re: PM, MAX, or USR

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:27:00 -0600

ARG!!!! Did I really here (see) someone suggest that an independant
contractor try to evaluate the needs of an ISP? Gad zukes!!! Man
eventhough we had many of the same thoughts, different products, I was with
you until that one. His best option would be to really think of the
questions, define his short term and long term needs, then contact the
vendors of each, ask them for why their products would be better than the
competition. Then listen to how the vendor will try and impose their own
bias into the equation. The remember any ISP can be successful with any
product. The key is relationship. Get to know the vendor, I would almost
recommend bypassing the VAR, as they sell what gives them the most $$.

With the few number of ports you may not get vendors to send you equipment
on trial, but I can get almost any equipment for 60 day trial. I can then
evaluate them head to head and based on what I like and dislike make a
decision. I would recommend also since you are going to have limited
experience to get a support contract. With the USR they will actually come
onsite and install, plus provision it with the telco. (I know not much to
provision, but still for the novice getting this attention for NO
additional cost is hard to match!!!!)