RE: PM, MAX, or USR

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:02:51 -0600

Actually I will challenge any K56Flex to my connect speeds. I connect over
98% of the x2 capable users at 48,000 or higher! On the Ascend products
that I had around 20% above 45K, on Livingston maybe 23% above 45K and
Cisco was less than 18%. Real connects over a large geographic area,
calling from multi-points. Over 170,000 calls logged.

At 02:05 PM 3/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I also like the ASCEND MAX but just read an article at the BOARDWATCH site
>where the X2 series (supported by the 3com/USR product) regularly supported
>40k+ connections but the Kflex modems rarely got over 35k.
>
>Since the main reason (in our case) to go to one of these solutions is to
>support 56k dial-up (as well as ISDN) the Boardwatch testing seems to be
>heavily stacked in favor of X2 over Kflex. In addition in terms of sheer
>numbers the USR sportsters are fairly predominant in our area and
>interoperability seems to be non-existant.
With USR you could be running v.90 code today! Support any compatible
modem, including the new Zooms which connect above 50K.

>Anybody out there have experience with both flavors of 56k? Am I
>misinterpreting what I read on Boardwatch?
Nope. This can not be disputed.