RE: I *hate* FrontPage

Michael J. Gibbs ( (no email) )
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:14:57 -0800

This sounds like one of the problems that seemed to crop up with the 97
extensions at our shop. We regained a sense of stabilitiy by making sure
that the default web server had an IP address assigned to it (as opposed to
leaving it blank (or in 98 leaving it to any unassigned)). Once we did
this, all of those problems went away!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Payer [SMTP:david.payer@ia-omni.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 1998 8:11 AM
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
Subject: Re: I *hate* FrontPage

>Is it just me, or does everyone else have problems with the FrontPage
>server extensions? 97 seemed stable enough, but after installing 98
>yesterday, I was not impressed to find the permissions on my NTFS data
>partiton had been reset to "Everyone...Full Control"

Permissions change when you don't do anything!

You give permission explicitly to a user, but they can't log in.

Or.... They can log into one site but not the other and you set them up
identically (using the same userid for login to both).

I don't get it but it has happened too often and from what I have heard to
too many people to be simply a fluke. It may be that it is affected by
variables that are not defined well by MS up front.

David Payer
OMNI Internet