Re: Reverse DNS using Microsoft DNS

Beverly Wise ( (no email) )
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:15:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_006D_01BD51B7.84A1C060

Actually, if you don't mind, I would appreciate a lengthier explanation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitchell B. Wagers <mwagers@ocsnet.net>
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Reverse DNS using Microsoft DNS
=20
If you don't have it create the PTR file when you FIRST make the A =
record, it won't happen, you will have to do it manually. If you delete =
an A record, it will not automatically delete the PTR record. You do =
have the ZONES for the Reverse DNS, correct? You will also need whoever =
handles your SWIP registration to point to your servers, which should be =
a one-to-one, not a trickle-down syndrome most providers use, see below:
=20
-InterNIC/ARIN designates DNS to IP's
-Your upstream's upstream carries the Reverse Authority, pointed to =
your upstream.
-Your upstream points Reverse Authotiry to you.
=20
That is a trickle-down approach, very inconvenient and unreliable. I =
have heard that "you can't register just one class C for reverse DNS." =
That is incorrect, you can and it should be done, unless you carry more =
than a class C all your own. They should be registered in the largest =
blocks appropriate.
=20
Sorry if I just confused anyone, I can write a longer explanation if =
need be...
=20
=20
=20
At 01:44 PM 3/17/98 -0500, you wrote:=20

=20
So far, I have figured out Microsoft DNS, mostly. When it comes =
to the reverse DNS look up though for A records I am hesitant to add =
them. Currently I only have 2 A records that do not have an associated =
PTR record in the in-addr.arpa file. In the properties of these A =
records, it says to update the associated PTR file. Should I go ahead =
and add these PTR files so reverse DNS can take place?
=20
Beverly L. Wise
Systems Operator
Falls City Net Services
<http://www.fallscity.net>http://www.fallscity.net
=20
=20
<<<<
=20
=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_006D_01BD51B7.84A1C060

Actually, if you don't mind, I would appreciate a =lengthier=20explanation.

-----Original =Message-----
From:=20 Mitchell B. Wagers <mwagers@ocsnet.net>
To: =ntisp@emerald.iea.com =<ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date:=20 Tuesday, March 17, 1998 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: Reverse =DNS using=20 Microsoft DNS

If you don't have it create the =PTR file=20 when you FIRST make the A record, it won't happen, you will have to =do it=20 manually. If you delete an A record, it will not automatically =delete the=20 PTR record. You do have the ZONES for the Reverse DNS, correct? You =will=20 also need whoever handles your SWIP registration to point to your =servers,=20 which should be a one-to-one, not a trickle-down syndrome most =providers=20 use, see below:

-InterNIC/ARIN designates DNS to =IP's
-Your=20 upstream's upstream carries the Reverse Authority, pointed to your=20 upstream.
-Your upstream points Reverse Authotiry to =you.

That is=20 a trickle-down approach, very inconvenient and unreliable. I have =heard that=20 "you can't register just one class C for reverse DNS." =That is=20 incorrect, you can and it should be done, unless you carry more than =a class=20 C all your own. They should be registered in the largest blocks=20 appropriate.

Sorry if I just confused anyone, I can write a =longer=20 explanation if need be...

At 01:44 PM 3/17/98 -0500, =you=20 wrote:

So far, I have figured out Microsoft DNS, =mostly.=20 When it comes to the reverse DNS look up though for A records I =am=20 hesitant to add them. Currently I only have 2 A records that do =not have=20 an associated PTR record in the in-addr.arpa file. In the =properties of=20 these A records, it says to update the associated PTR file. =Should I go=20 ahead and add these PTR files so reverse DNS can take =place?

Beverly L. Wise
Systems=20 Operator
Falls City Net=20 =Services
<http://www.fallscity.net>http://www.fallscity.net