Re: Am I goign to have a bad weekend?

Kurt A.Butzin, DDS ( (no email) )
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:28:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BD4CC7.9BC42D90

Why not install the drive into your current setup, install the driver, =
backup your current setup with the new driver installed. Restore to the =
new drive and remove IDE drive and reboot. You will probably have to =
edit your boot.ini file though as NT treats IDE and SCSI differently. =
I'm only running SCSI so I can't help you with the changes. Also you =
need to get the boot sector right on the new drive to boot NT.

Kurt A. Butzin, DDS Molarnet Technologies, Inc
President 1936 Bay Street
kurt@molar.net Saginaw, MI 48602
http://www.molar.net

Authorized iPSwitch WebVar (http://www.molar.net/ipswitch/index.html)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Waldron <dan@diversified.com.au>
To: ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 7:28 PM
Subject: Am I goign to have a bad weekend?
=20
I have a NT 4 SP3 server running a Quantum Big Foot IDE HD which I'm =
pulling out on Sunday morning to replace with one of these lovely new =
Seagate Ultra 2 Wide SCSI drives hanging off an Adaptec 2940U2W PCI =
controller.
=20
When I went to install the SCSI drive in an empty PC, NT's setup =
does not support the controller, and a driver must be added during set =
up, or a STOP error "BOOT_DEVICE_NOT_ACCESSIBLE" occurs.
=20
Once I've installed the new disk, I'll be restoring a tape backup =
with registry to go back online.=20
=20
My question is how am I going to go rebooting after restoring my OLD =
NT setup, which *doesn't* have the driver installed? Do you think it =
will work if I:
=20
1. Install the 2940U2W driver in my current setup,
2. Without rebooting, backup,
3. Remove the IDE drive and install teh SCSI drive
4. Restore the backup
5. Reboot
=20
I think this may very well work, but I'm not sure. As a sideline, =
this seems like a bloody fast drive.
=20
Rgds
Dan
Dan Waldron
Diversified Data
dan@diversified.com.au
http://www.diversified.com.au
Ph: 0417-659-828 (+61-417-659-828)
Fx: 02-9832-0951 (+61-2-9832-0951)

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01BD4CC7.9BC42D90

Why not install the drive into your =current=20setup, install the driver, backup your current setup with the new driver =installed.  Restore to the new drive and remove IDE drive and =reboot. =20You will probably have to edit your boot.ini file though as NT treats =IDE and=20SCSI differently.  I'm only running SCSI so I can't help you with =the=20changes.  Also you need to get the boot sector right on the new =drive to=20boot NT.

Kurt A. Butzin,=20DDS           &nbs=p;       =20Molarnet Technologies,=20Inc
President         &nb=sp;           &nbs=p;            =;  =201936 Bay Street
kurt@molar.net    =            &=nbsp;          =20Saginaw, MI 48602

From:=20 Dan Waldron <dan@diversified.com.au>
=To:=20 ntisp@emerald.iea.com <ntisp@emerald.iea.com>
Date:=20 Tuesday, March 10, 1998 7:28 PM
Subject: Am I goign to =have a=20 bad weekend?

I have a NT 4 SP3 =server running a=20 Quantum Big Foot IDE HD which I'm pulling out on Sunday morning to =replace=20 with one of these lovely new Seagate Ultra 2 Wide SCSI drives =hanging off an=20 Adaptec 2940U2W PCI controller.

When I went to install the =SCSI drive=20 in an empty PC, NT's setup does not support the controller, and a =driver=20 must be added during set up, or a STOP error=20 "BOOT_DEVICE_NOT_ACCESSIBLE" occurs.

Once I've =installed=20 the new disk, I'll be restoring a tape backup with registry to go =back=20 online.

My question is how am I going to go rebooting after=20 restoring my OLD NT setup, which *doesn't* have the driver =installed? Do you=20 think it will work if I:

1. Install the 2940U2W driver in my =current=20 setup,
2. Without rebooting, backup,
3. Remove the IDE drive =and=20 install teh SCSI drive
4. Restore the backup
5. =Reboot

I think=20 this may very well work, but I'm not sure. As a sideline, this seems =like a=20 bloody fast=20 =drive.

Rgds
Dan
Diversified Data
dan@diversified.com.au