RE: NT Backup

Mark Bainter ( mark@turnergroup.com )
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:56:14 -0500

Just a word of warning here. We use Arcserve and IMNSHO it sucks. You
have to pay extra for things that should be included (like a backup
agent for open files, and disaster recovery) Whenever you get a new
version don't bother installing it because it won't work. Their first
versions NEVER work, you will always have to download a 17MB patch file
within a few days after the release if you actually want to *use* the
product. I'm not talking about minor glitches that they missed, I'm
talking about being unable to do backups onto multiple tapes, GFS not
working/etc. Then you call their TS and find out they know less than
you do about the product. Out of the 5 times in I have called
Cheyenne's TS in the last 3 years, not once have I gotten a solution.
The Amanda product mentioned in another message intrigues me, but I
don't think it's going to do what I need.

I'm looking for backup software that can do Disaster Recovery,
Differential Backups, and Exchange Server Database backups at brick
level. Any suggestions? What else do you guys use for backup software
besides Arcserve?