Re: Digital Terminal Servers/Network Access Servers.

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Wed, 04 Mar 1998 23:39:04 -0800

Troy Cefaratti wrote:

> >We'll soon be replacing our analog terminal servers/modems with digital
> >equipment.
> >
> >We've looked at the Livingston PM3's, but I 'm not too hot on its
> >limitations of 2 PRI's/T-1's. Is there a PM3 model that can scale better?
> >

> It is true that you can only have 2 PRI/T1 connections per PM3 chassis, but
> you can put several PM3 Chassis together in a rack and have them work
> effectively as one "unit". This even allows MultilinkPPP connections that
> span chassis.
>
> I don't know what sort of "scalablity" you are looking for, but it would
> seem that the PM3's can handle it.

On a side note, unless you are talking about 20 trunks, its typically
better to not put all your eggs in one basket. I have worked with
serveral ISPs using boxes like a MAX TNT with 10-20 trunks in it, and
rebooting it looses all of your inbound connections. With a rack of
PM3s, you would loose at most two trunks (48 lines) than 480 lines. :)

There are pluses about a more dense rack, but this is one against them.