Re: 56K Modems

Mitchell B. Wagers ( (no email) )
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:23:28 -0800

Jump on someone? Maybe I was a little quick to fire...I apologize. It's
just hard to sit back and watch, day after day, the malformed information
that goes across this list.
I've worked with several Telephone Companies (GTE and Sprint to name two)
that have dedicated lines specifically designed NOT to pass through their
digital equipment. Although the signal is still switched among various
locations, it never passes through any digital monitors or muxes, remaining
completely analog and clipped at well over ~8khz. Basically, what you get
is miles and miles of continuous pair wire (however many ties or doubling
that goes on). I, personally, did this with a 56K modem.
Been there, done that and it is a valid scenario because several state
networks (I've worked for them) do this exact thing, they just don't use
it, necessarily, for "56K" access. If it isn't possible, then I suppose
it's odd that I had a Cisco 2511 up and operating with 16 Cardinal x2
modems and getting connections (actual, not Win95 DUN lies) well over 4k/sec.