Re: relay spam

Jerry Sumpton ( Jerry@FreeView.com )
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 14:23:56 -0800

I don't like the idea of blocking people who use our servers to relay. That
is like presenting a locked door that they can try and get around.

Instead, I accept their messages and delete them. I use perl's regular
expressions and initially spool the suspect message into a directory. Once
a problem message is identified, I can always find something that reliably
identifies the message. Sometimes "mail from:" or "subject", but other
times something like a phone number or marketing slogan. I can usually
catch close to 100% of the messages without a performance hit on our servers.

The advantage to this is that it completely wastes the thief's efforts. I
have seen times where we have deleted several messages a second for 4 days
from just one perpetrator.

I feel that this method helps us all a lot more than just passing a bum on
to the next server. It is not the spam that bothers me. It is that some
feels that they can steal our resources.

Jerry.