Re: ADSL

Rudy Komsic ( (no email) )
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 06:25:17 -0500

OK the answer to this question is a follows,
ADSL at 99$ is like a dialup modem. When you need to connect, it will. So
you set your ADSL TA/User ratio to about 5-10:1 and then you see your 99$
goto $990 per channel. You get a T3 (45mb/s) and you guestimate how many
times you can overload with ADSL. Because remember, you can easily handle
4-6 Times overloading a T3 since not all People on ADSL will transmit
information at the same time. Remember the golden rule, 10% of connection
time is actual transmission, 90% is really IDLE.

So to fill up a T3 with ADSL Ports offering at 1.5mb/s you can put in 180
ADSL Ports at 990$ per port. Total Income = $ 178,200 / month, Total Expense
= $50,000/month for T3, around $36,000 (Based on 200$/port) for ADSL Ports,
Net Income = $92,200 Monthly.
For a T2 connection, you can have up to 36 ADSL Ports at 990$ per port
income. Gross Income = $35,640/month, Total expense = $12,000/month for T2,
around $ 7200/month ADSL Ports, Net Profit = $16,440/month.
Minimum should be a T2 connection to offer ADSL.

Well I see that this can be very useful in producing extra revenue but the
startup costs may be a bit high.

Best start off point for ADSL would be a T2 (10mb/s) connection. Get about
8 ADSL Ports and share it with your current service. 8 Ports can handle
about 60 people on ADSL. WIth that in mind, you have 60 people at $99/month
= $5950 of extra income to help with month charges.

On Average, on a rack of modems, the average transfer rate is about
500/bytes to 1K/sec... With ADSL that might go up to maybe 5k-10k/sec. if
you really want to over load a T2, at 10k/sec average transfer rate, you can
have 125 ADSL Ports on it. Potential Income = $123,750/month. It all
depends on how you want to offer your services. You must learn how you
optimize without overload.

Hope this helps a lot of people trying to decide.