RE: 56K x2 server side modems

Michael Whisenant ( mwhisen@airnet.net )
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:55:49 -0600

At 05:41 PM 12/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I understand it's supposed to be a software upgrade, but this is the same
>as the old Sportster USR modems, some models HAD to be returned for
>hardware replacement, and ITU didn't say x2 OR K56Flex, it's a combination
>of the two. I'm just warning since none of the modem manufactures have
>taken their stand as to what it will require yet! As for the PRI and T1,

Comparing a sportster modem to a Total Control chassis is like comparing a
square wheel and carriage to a modern BMW! USR only recently started the
flash upgradeable Sportster, I have a Courier that is 8.5 years old, was
originally a 16.8 modem that is now a 56K and I have actually connected at
59333 and maintained the connection for around a minute. The USR has the
ability to modulate the signal loss such that you can overpower and exceed
the FCC ruling that limits speeds around 53.3. The key is notifying the
teleco that you plan to overpower the line and hope the end user does not
have many extensions in their home. I have beta PRI's and beta chassis
that I have played with almost every conceivable setting and can say we
sold off all of our Ascend Max products after 5 months of head-to-head
comparisons.