Re: DNS

Mitch Wagers ( mwagers@ocsnet.net )
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 04:13:39 -0800

Um...I think this is the long way around things...
Just create a secondary DNS Server using the DNS Manager on your new machine.
Copy all of the zones (via the Manager) to the new DNS Server using an IP
Master of the current DNS Primary. Make sure you want for the zones to
transfer! Once you have everything settled, reconfig each zone's IP Master
as the IP of the new DNS Server. No, this is not RFC'd as officially a
Primary DNS, but ya know what? It works and clients don't care what DNS
they get, as long as they get DNS. Or, you can copy like is suggested
below, but you will still have to create the zone names, then it will read
the entries from the files. Primary DNS Servers are designated by the IP
Masters, so setting the Secondary DNS to an IP Master of itself essentially
bypasses.