Re: DNS

Jose Carlos da Silva ( (no email) )
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 09:57:49 -0300

Kelly Wright,

On 13 Dec 97 at 5:40, you wrote:

> Anyone know how to transfer the DNS records to a new NT Server
> without having to re-key all the records in? We have a lot of
> domains. We are wanting to set up a backup DNS server.
>
> We are using MS DNS.

You should copy all '*.dns' files located in your system DNS folder
(usually c:\winnt\system32\dns). You need also to create a boot file
in the destination DNS system with records for all zone files and you
need to disable the parameter 'EnableRegistryBoot' in the registry of
the destination system. It's located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
+ SYSTEM
+ CurrentControlSet
+ Services
+ DNS
+ Parameters

To disable it, just set its value to 0 (zero).

[]s,

| Sysop & WebMaster ALLNET BBS/Internet |
| Modem: 55 (011) 3061-3600 Voz: 55 (011) 3061-0088 |
| http://www.net-all.com.br http://www.brasmail.com.br |
| ICQ (UIN): 344539 mailto:jcds@brasmail.com.br |