Re: USR 56k connect problem

Josh Hillman ( (no email) )
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:02:01 -0500

> From: Daniel Wood <dgwood@iwvisp.com>
>
> I am using Ascend Max 4004s and 4048s and am having problem
> with users with the 56k USR modems. They can connect to me
> (of course not at 56k, they connect at 28800) but after a few
> minutes they can't transfer any more data. The modem is still
> connected but I can't ping them anymore. This happens when they
> calls into the 4004 or the 4048. Any ideas of what I should do?

The problems that you're running into are on USR's side. Luckily, they've
already been fixed in firmware updates for USRs (both V.34 and X2 models).
The exceptions are the WinModems (they still have the "pausing" problem as
USR calls it) and because there's no firmware update for the Sportster
modems with voice, they still have the problem.

For USRs that have not yet had their firmware updated, you can add the
following to the init string to fix any USR problems (except for
WinModems):
s32=34 Disable X2 if the modem can't even connect to the Max.
s15=128 s27=64 Disable V.42 error control (temp fix for "pausing").

For info on all of this, see:
http://www.talstar.com/support/56k.html

USR firmware updates (V.34 and X2):
http://x2.usr.com/update

Also, what OS are you using in your Maxes? Our Maxes are using 5.0Ap36 and
are using Rockwell firmware version 1.140N.

Josh Hillman
hillman@talstar.com