Re: setup of NT sub-ISP

Mitch Wagers ( mwagers@ocsnet.net )
Sun, 07 Dec 1997 14:09:20 -0800

Um....Here's how it should be done if I understand you correctly. The Cisco
router will also gain a bunch of performance running by itself instead of
relying on a host and is also easier to manage. If you assign him a block
of 16 IP's with the *correct* subnet for those 16 IP's. (I.E. you can't just
remove a chunk of your Class C) and he connects to YOU with HIS IP, then
here is what I would do (although I recommend using your IP for his Cisco
WAN interface and his IP for his Cisco Ethernet0 interface):

His router should have an IP on his subnet. If the NT Server is .80, then
set the router to .81 or .82 (anywhere in there) WITH the correct subnet for
the Ethernet0 Port, you should not have to use two IP's for the router. The
gateway on the router is set for your "Access Server" that he connects to
(the router is what connects to you, not the NT Machine). Then, there will
be a flagged route (labeled NL) which the Cisco's IP and your Access Server.
He should then add the route: "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 your.access.server.ip metric
permanent" The "permanent" command depends on the IOS he is running. Do not
turn on RIP, IEGRP, etc, etc...just default routing!

If he connects to you via one of YOUR IP's (i.e. not on his subnet), then
the Ethernet0 interface of his Cisco is still be one of HIS IP's, but the
"controller" or wan interface would be the IP he connects to you with (the
IP you give him upon connection, needs to be static for best results).
Then, the gateway on his Cisco needs to be set to your Access Server, just
as before. The NL route will be different than the above, however. Add the
same default route as above.

He should really be connecting to you via one of your IP's and not his own.
Therefore, his Router will have two IP's, each from a different network. I'm
not sure I covered everything, but configuring a Cisco router is a bit more
entailed than just two paragraphs.

Mitch Wagers
Network Operations Manager
mwagers@ocsnet.net