(no subject)

( ntboy@mailhost.iconn.net )
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 06:10:57 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Danny Sinang wrote:

> Just a tip here. I tried using the "Accept Only Local Mail" feature in
> NTMail, which is similar to what Larry is suggesting. But if one of my
> customers uses a "permanent" email address ( i.e. john@iname.com or
> john@poboxes.com ) in their email's From clause, their email is treated as
> non-local - meaning they get rejected.

If you're an ISP, you need to support relaying (to and from) for
customers, while excluding non-customers (spammers, mailbombers).

Then there is the issue of spam aimed at your domains and your child
domains. You want to be able to block by domain, by email address,
by network IP address, and host IP address.

I dont't know which NT mail packages can do all of this -- The only one i
know that will work for certain is sendmail. See...
http://www.metainfo.com/products/sendmail/features.htm
....for details.

Finally, you want to be able to give (or sell) spam filtering based on
header content. If you use sendmail, you can define a program to do
local delivery, and if that program (rexx perl exe) contains a spam
filter, you can bounce 80 or 90 percent of all your spam. Makes for happy
users.

> > the vermin they are :)

Parasites.