(no subject)

John D. Kerr - VE3SVE ( (no email) )
Sat, 06 Dec 1997 12:54:05 -0500

Kurt and others.

I actually was hit again around 22:00est on Friday evening, and I was
fortunate enough to be here scanning the logs and seen it happening. I was
reading up on mail blocking, relay blocking etc.. The incoming mail from
the spammer did get about 1500 messages through before I was able to figure
things out.

I was able to go into the Post.Office config and set the necessary fields
to only allow messages FROM an IP address on the local side to be SENT out
to others (RELAY prevention). The other option would have been to allow
message with an Address FROM my domains to go out - but I found that one of
the spammers actually used a name which implied they had a valid account
with us!

I have tested the configuration and it works PERFECT. About the only way
someone will be able to use us as a RELAY HOST is to FORGE the IP address
of the sending system.. This would be difficult to do - but give it a few
months and the average 12 year old will be doing it!

In regards to who was sending the SPAM.. Well.. It was worse than I had
first thought.. At the beginning of the month, I turned on detailed logging
in Post.Office, which creates larger log files, which included the EXACT
details I needed. What I have found, is that I have had several people
actually using us as a RELAY HOST - the spammers must maintain a list of
known good email hosts. The first real instance where it effected my
system was while I was away at Comdex and it totally crashed the mail server.

So.. Here is a list of IP address, and reverse lookups as to who the host
systems are:

12/05: 206.175.226.28 - COMPUSERVE
12/04: nothing out of the ordinary
12/03: 206.133.7.30 - Sprint
12/03: 207.107.160.132 - Sprint Canada
12/02: 206.133.8.116 - Sprint
12/01: 206.133.7.120 - Sprint
12/01: 206.214.98.16 - NETCOM On-Line Communication
12/01: 206.133.8.129 - Sprint
12/01: 206.133.9.80 - Sprint

As can be seen from this - I think an important lesson can be learned.
Blocking by a single IP address or block of IP addresses would limit anyone
from these organization from relaying mail. I think the only solution is to
completely eliminate all possibilities of a server being used as a relay
host. If you have special situations where someone needs to be able to do
this, ADD them in as an exception - deny everyone from the outside, then
allow the ones you want.

I have learned a good lesson here and one that has saved me hours of more
worry - I want to thank everyone for their assistance..

John