Re: Creating Reports

Gary Walworth ( (no email) )
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:44:44 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale E. Reed Jr. <daler@iea-software.com>
To: emerald@emerald.iea.com <emerald@emerald.iea.com>
Date: Sunday, March 01, 1998 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: Creating Reports

>Gary D. Walworth wrote:
>>
>> Are there any special design considerations when creating reports for use
>> within Emerald?
>>
>> I am currently creating reports in Crystal Reports Pro 6.0. While the
>> reports work well within CR, using them within Emerald returns a cryptic
>> "SQL Server Error" message.
>>
>> I am creating reports that point to the Emerald databse using the 'MS SQL
>> Server' driver. Should I be using an ODBC driver?
>>
>> Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. While we have no
problem
>> using the reports from within CR, we would rather use a single interface
>> access them all.
>
>I've had challenging times with the SQL Server driver. Using the
>ODBC driver seems to work fine. We only distriubute the ODBC driver
>for Crystal Reports, so if you want to use the SQL Server driver
>on a machine w/out the full CR installed, you have to install
>those components manually.

Dale,

We do have CR6 installed at each station. The problem seems to be associated
with the 'Select Expert' in CR6. Specifically, when asking for data that
pertains to a specific date range. When using an ODBC connection, the
'Database/Show SQL Query' menu item shows question marks where the start and
stop date should be.

Example:

<snip>
WHERE
InvoiceItems."InvoiceID" = Invoices."InvoiceID" AND
Invoices."CustomerID" = MasterAccounts."CustomerID" AND
Invoices."Date" >= ? AND
Invoices."Date" <= ? AND
(MasterAccounts."PayMethod" = 'Visa' OR
MasterAccounts."PayMethod" = 'MasterCard' OR
MasterAccounts."PayMethod" = 'Amex')
<snip>

The error message when using the ODBC driver is:

ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Driver not capable

Followed by a:

SQL Server Error

But, when using the SQL Server driver, the SQL Query looks like:

<snip>
WHERE
InvoiceItems.InvoiceID = Invoices.InvoiceID AND
Invoices.CustomerID = MasterAccounts.CustomerID AND
Invoices.Date >= "Mar 1, 1998" AND
Invoices.Date <= "Mar 2, 1998" AND
(MasterAccounts.PayMethod = 'Visa' OR
MasterAccounts.PayMethod = 'MasterCard' OR
MasterAccounts.PayMethod = 'Amex')
<snip>

And the query runs fine.

In ODBC Administrator, it's showing I am using SQL Server driver version
2.65.0240

Do you know if there's a newer version, or has this turned into a Microsoft
issue?

TIA

Gary Walworth
garydean@beachlink.com