Re: Consolidation

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:11:25 -0800

Duane Schaub wrote:

> What happens to Serv-u and NTmail or Mailsite while the consolidation is
> running. My experience is that they drop the ODBC connection and NTmail
> starts rejecting all incoming mail. :-(

AFAIK, nothing. You can still authenticate and do anything you need
except insert records into the calls table.

> Can I just drop the Calls Table? I really need a more efficient way to
> consolidate. If I wait more than a week, consolidation takes HOURS on a
> 64Mb p200 with nothing else running.

You need some more memory. You should have atleast 128mb of memory,
with SQL Server having about 80mb of memory available to it. I recently
did some testing on a Dual P166 machine with 256mb of ram. Really it
only cost about $1000 (plus the drives, which were just EIDE drives).
I set a tempdb in RAM of 40mb (for some reason it needed about double
what I typically use for disk) and DB use of 128mb. Consolidating about
250,000 records took all of 20 mins. This is usually a several hour
consolidation job. I'd recommend upping the ram and trying the tempdb
in ram (with twice what you typical disk amount is). I was fairly
impresses with the performance the SMP gave, especially for the price.