Re: Running Emerald from another Domain

Dale E. Reed Jr. ( (no email) )
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:25:00 -0800

David Mulberry wrote:

> Wouldn't you need to be running a WINS server to make this work (which i am
> not). Also, please explain the c$ after the IP address. I'd rather do
> straight TCP/IP if this requires a WINS server.

No. If you check the option I specified, NT falls over to DNS for the
hostname lookup. Rather handy and I don't know it 95 has the option.

> Do I need to do anything with the ODBC settings? Seems I should have to
> change them for both methods you have described.

Only if you want to print. Normal operations won't need anything changed.

> Also, since either will work if I set them up correctly.... please help me
> find what I don't have set up correctly. Since I have everthing set up
> exactly as you describe in your steps for TCP/IP then obviously there are
> other settings that need to be looked at that I may need to change to get
> this to work..... there must be something about my basic configuration that
> you are assuming I have set up that isn't. I just have no idea what that
> could be, Emerald is running fine other than with remote access.

I did notice one mistake below. If you are not using 1433, the connect
string should be x.x.x.x,yyyy NOT x.x.x.x:yyyy. Please see Chapter 3
and Chapter 4 (Configuring Clients) in the SQL Server Administrator's
Companion (yeah, the thick one) as it details all this with examples as
well.

-- Dale E. Reed Jr.  (daler@iea.com)_________________________________________________________________       IEA Software, Inc.      |  RadiusNT, Emerald, and NT FAQs Internet Solutions for Today  |   http://www.iea-software.com